Learning about pet health insurance can be difficult and often hard to understand. We want to make sure you know what you’re getting with a pet insurance plan.
What does Trupanion insurance cover?
Trupanion covers veterinary costs that arise from a pet getting sick or injured. Your policy covers 90% of the actual cost your vet charges for diagnostic testing, treatments, surgeries, medications, treatment, hospitalization, supplements, therapeutic pet foods*, orthotic devices, prosthetic devices, and carts, less the exam fee. Hereditary conditions are covered as well.
*Note: We cover ½ of the cost of therapeutic pet food, then we provide a discount to your premium after 2 months of coverage.
When does my coverage begin? Are there waiting periods?
We have a 5 day waiting period for accidents and 30 day waiting period for illnesses. That means that we will cover accidents five days after the policy start date. Illnesses will be covered thirty days after the policy start date.
What is a deductible?
The deductible is the portion of the bill you are responsible for before 90% coverage is available. Trupanion’s deductible is per-incident which means the deductible will be applied to each separate incident/condition.
Are there deductible options?
- Choose any deductible you want between $0 and $1,000 in $5 increments to fit your budget
- A higher deductible means a lower premium
How often do I pay the deductible?
- Trupanion has a per incident/condition deductible (not per claim or per visit or per year)
- It is applied only once per condition over the lifetime of your policy
- Trupanion covers 90% of approved claim costs, after your deductible is met for that condition
Should a pet owner submit a claim even though it is less than their chosen deductible?
- Yes! Claims must be submitted within 90 days of treatment, so submit claims as soon as possible
- Once all related claims pass the deductible amount, Trupanion will begin to reimburse the pet owner
- Example: Your deductible is $500. Make a claim for the amount of $300, and then the pet owner now has only $200 remaining to reach their deductible amount for that particular condition
Can a pet owner change their deductible?
- Yes! Pet owners can always adjust their deductible up or down
- If incident occurs or a condition is present while having a higher deductible in place, only that incident or condition remains with the higher deductible
- If you lower your deductible, all new incidents will have the lower deductible
- 30 day waiting periods are applied for any deductible changes
Will Trupanion change the deductible over time?
- No! Trupanion will not change a pet owner’s deductible
- It will not increase over time or as the pet ages unless the pet owner chooses to change it
* We pay 90% of eligible costs, less exam fees and sales tax, where applicable. Read our sample policy here.
1 These are unpaid endorsements.